Sweet potatoes contain some B-vitamins but only combined with nutritional yeast this dish is truly energizing. B-vitamins are all water soluble and are not stored very well in the body. That is why we need to replenish daily through foods or supplements to support their many functions. B-vitamins are important for production of red blood cells and thus necessary for our energy.
Nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast which can be used if there are candida symptoms or complaints. It has a umami taste and works well instead of parmesan cheese.
5 sweet potatoes (orange/purple) – peeled and sliced in rounds
3 eggplants – washed and sliced in rounds
6 heaping tablespoons of nuts or seeds
1 clove of garlic (or more)
1 red onion
1 tablespoon of mixed herbs of basil, oregano and thyme
extra virgin olive oil
green or red pesto
- Pre-heat oven and turn grill on 200C.
- Use 2 baking sheets. One for the sweet potatoes and one for the eggplants. Sprinkle olive oil on both and place in oven for 30 min. or until vegetables are soft on the inside.
- Peel onion and chop in small pieces. Press the garlic and heat some oil in a pan. Mix herbs with onion and garlic and stir.
- In a food processor grind the nuts into small pieces and add to the onion/garlic mixture.
- Serve sweet potatoes and eggplant on a plate once done. Spread some pesto on eggplant and sprinkle nut mixture and nutritional yeast.
Quantities are meant for several meals so you can enjoy it the next day for lunch or dinner.